"THE WORTHY LAMB MADE US WORTHY" MICHAEL F BLUME
SEPTEMBER 19, 1999 am
Reve 5:1-10 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four [and] twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
The question was asked WHO IS WORTHY?
- And the objective of the worthy one was to take the book and open the seals thereof.
- And four times in a row, we read of taking the book and looking upon it, so we do not mistaken the issue.
The book of Revelation is a scary book to some people, and simply a mysterious book to others.
- Reve 5:2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
- Rev. 5:3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
- Reve 5:4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
- Reve 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Why would God gives us a book and tell us we would be blessed in reading it and hearing it if nobody would ever understand it?
- Some feel we will never know what it means.
- But that is contrary to reason.
Reve 1:3 Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand.
Why would God tell us we would be blessed when we read and understand it if we could not understand it?
- To HEAR in the Bible means to UNDERSTAND.
- To understand, perceive the sense of what is said.
John was taken up into Heaven in the spirit and saw wonderful things there.
- Somebody is offkey about this somewhere.
- God wants us to understand this book.
Interestingly enough, Moses was also called up into Mount Sina.
- The first thing He saw was a throne.
- Then he saw 24 seats around the throne.
Then John saw seven lamps of fire by the throne.
- And he saw things that were patterns from which he would build articles of ritual worship.
- And opposed to the throne that Joh first saw, Moses first saw and was told to build THE ARK OF THE COVENANT.
- This ark really is a throne.
- It had a mercy seat on it.
- And then Moses was told to build a table for shewbread.
- John saw 24 seats and Moses was told to build a table.
And the parallel continued.
- Moses was then told to build a candlestick of seven lamps.
But I like what we read about how John contrasted with Moses.
Exod 19:20 And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses [up] to the top of the mount; and Moses went up. God came down and then told Moses to come up.
Reve 4:1-2 After this I looked, and, behold, a door [was] opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard [was] as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and [one] sat on the throne. . God stayed right on His throne and called John higher than Moses could go.
The Bible tells us that the New Testament is a better covenant than the one Moses received for Israel.
- God called John all the way up to Heaven!
So we read of all these wonderful things John saw.
- Thank God that we can go HIGHER!
- In fact, we can go all the way!!
- But first things first.
- John saw one sitting on the throne.
- And this set the scene for chapter 5 of Revelation.
- Again the one sitting on the throne is mentioned.
- And we read that He has a sealed book in his right hand.
- And then we read that the offer for a worthy one to come and take the book and open is given.
- And FOUR TIMES the issue of taking the book and opening it is mentioned in verses 2-5.
- And the note of WORTH is stressed.
The book had to be taken and opened by someone worthy.
- WHO IS WORTHY to open the book and loose the seals?
- NONE IS WORTHY to open the book and look thereon.
- SO I WEPT SINCE NONE ARE WORTHY to open the book and look thereon.
- BUT WAIT, THE LAMB IS WORTHY to open the book and loose the seals thereof!
The whole point was for someone to take the book and open it.
But then we read that the LAMB appears.
- But before the lamb came NONE WERE WORTHY TO COME.
- None were worthy to take the book.
- None were worthy to open the book.
- And none were worthy to look on the book.
They give the reason why the lamb was worthy.
- And this lamb had just been slain.
- But its standing!
- And He takes the book.
- And suddenly praise goes forth to God like never before in the book of Revelation.
Reve 5:7-10 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four [and] twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
And then the word is out, and praise grows even greater!
- HE WAS SLAIN.
- AND HE REDEEMED PEOPLE TO GOD BY HIS BLOOD FROM EVERY NATION.
- AND HE MADE US KINGS AND PRIESTS TO RULE ON EARTH.
Reve 5:11-14 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, [be] unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four [and] twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever. But that is not all.
- We formerly read that nobody was worthy to even come to the throne and God's right hand, let alone take the book out of His hand and open it!!
- John could not go in.
- Nobody in heaven, in earth or under the earth could go in.
Until the Lamb appears, and He is WORTHY.
Notice it said the LION prevailed.
- It says HE PREVAILED to take the book.
- PREVAILED means HE CONQUERED in order to do it.
- We do not read of the Lamb taking the book before He died.
- Only after he was slain and standing up on his feet again do we read of him HAVING PREVAILED TO TAKE THE BOOK.
Reve 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
The conqueror came to the world as an infant.
- And then we look and find a slain LAMB standing up.
- He might have appeared like a little lamb led to the slaughter, not saying anything, just like a lamb is led to its slayers, but through that utter weakness, was such magnificent and glorious POWER, because through the ultimate surrender to DEATH came the ultimate victory of RESURRECTION.
- And God is trying to tell us that IN WEAKNESS CHRIST CONQUERED ALL IN ALMIGHTY STRENGTH.
BUT THEN THE LITTLE LAMB did something that only a LION could do.
- Satan must have laughed himself sick.
- And then this "prophet" allows Himself to be taken and nailed to a Roman cross.
- The devil was hysterical.
And we read of him in Revelation 1 standing as VICTOR.
- He conquered death, hell and the grave.
- He marched into Hell's headquarters and of death, and through death, destroyed him that had the power of death, that is the devil.
Reve 1:16-18 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance [was] as the sun shineth in his strength. And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. DON'T FEAR, JOHN.
He fought a battle on the cross and in the very depths of Hell when none of us were worthy to even touch foot on glory pavement.
- I HAVE THE KEYS OF DEATH AND HELL.
- How did He get those keys?
- HE PREVAILED.
AND HE WON!!!
- He prevailed because He fought and won a battle when we could not get into heaven and take the book from God's hand.
- And He fought for us!
- Because after we read that He took the Book, such praise ascended up to God about how the Lamb was worthy to take the book and redeem us by His blood.
- HE FOUGHT THE BATTLE TO REDEEM US!
And suddenly, when nobody in heaven, in the earth or under the earth was worthy to even touch foot inside this holiest of holies, we read this:
Reve 6:1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. JOHN IS TOLD TO COME AND SEE!
AND HE SAW!!!!
- Nobody was worthy to come, take the book and see inside it.
- But JOHN IS TOLD TO COME, NOW.
- JOHN IS TOLD TO SEE, NOW.
Reve 6:2 And I saw...
John was not WORTHY BEFOREHAND.
- HE LOOKED THEREON.
- Nobody was worthy to look thereon, earlier, but here we see John looking thereon!
- What made the difference?
- Did John make himself worthy?
- THE WORTHY LAMB MADE JOHN WORTHY.
We need to understand something and never forget it.
- But the LAMB - the LION -- WAS WORTHY.
- And somehow, and in some glorious manner, it made JOHN WORTHY.
- AND JOHN WAS INVITED TO COME AND SEE.
Do you want to know what happened?
- I have heard people say we are not worthy, but thank God anyhow, because He still blesses us.
- THE LAMB MADE US WORTHY!!!
- THE BLOOD MADE US WORTHY!!!
Jesus entered Heaven, took the book, and the power of God hit the angels and elders and beasts and they praised God to such an extent that we read:
Reve 5:14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four [and] twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever. We read a similar event happening in the Old Testament in the temple.
2Chr 5:7 And the priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the LORD unto his place, to the oracle of the house, into the most holy [place, even] under the wings of the cherubims: When the Ark entered the temple, the people praised, the glory came down and the people fell on their faces
2Chr 5:13-14 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers [were] as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up [their] voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, [saying], For [he is] good; for his mercy [endureth] for ever: that [then] the house was filled with a cloud, [even] the house of the LORD; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.
They could not STAND to minister.
The lamb was worthy because HE WAS SLAIN AND REDEEMED US WITH HIS BLOOD.
When you turn to Revelation 5, from now on, always remember, "Hey, this is the chapter that show Jesus having resurrected from the dead and going into Heaven, having conquered death and hell, in order to REDEEM US TO GOD."
- Let this detail in Revelation 5 never leave your understanding!
- Keep this in mind!
Like the Ark going in the temple and the praise occurring, followed by the people falling on their faces, JESUS IS THE GREAT ARK THAT ENTERED THE TRUE TEMPLE OF HEAVEN ITSELF.
- "And that made us WORTHY to be in God's presence."
He is the ARK.
- People praised.
- And People fell on their faces in worship before God.
Jesus was given to us AS A COVENANT.
- What was is the ark of the covenant?
- THE COVENANT.
Isai 49:8 Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
And look what else we read about in Isaiah.
- He did not only bring the covenant.
- HE IS THE COVENANT.
- He did not just show us the way.
- HE IS THE WAY.
- HE CONTAINS THE COVENANT IN HIMSELF, as the ark of the covenant housed the covenant.
Isai 49:9 That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that [are] in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures [shall be] in all high places. After we read about the GREAT ARK, Jesus Christ, going into Heaven to redeem us, we then read:
Reve 7:9-12 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb. And all the angels stood round about the throne, and [about] the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, [be] unto our God for ever and ever. Amen. There are all these people from every nation standing in that same place before the throne that was practically empty in Chapter 4.
Then John is asked who they are?
- And they are in white robes.
- They are shouting salvation to God!
Reve 7:13-15 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. THEY CAME OUT OF GREAT TRIBULATION AND WASHED THEIR ROBES IN THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB.
We hear about the "great tribulation" coming upon the world and hear preachers talking about this verse and the end of the world.
- The blood of the lamb!!
- The blood of the lamb REDEEMED them to God.
- And that is the reason they are before the throne.
When did the blood of the lamb redeem us?
- But this verse is talking about the end of the world at all!
When did He take our dirty robes and wash them white as snow by His blood?
- WHEN CHRIST RESURRECTED AND ENTERED HEAVEN FOR US.
Reve 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, He is not going to wash my robes in His blood.
Isai 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
1 Cor 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
When did He make us kings and priests?
- He's not going to put in tribulation to make my robes clean.
- I was in tribulation of sin, and He already washed me by His blood and seated me in heavenly places in Him.
Reve 1:5-6 ...Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him [be] glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. This is already true for us.
Yes, Jesus spoke of a time of "great tribulation" in Matthew 24:21, but this passage in Revelation is speaking about something else -- the life of sin we were beneath.
- HE HATH MADE US these things already.
- This is not GOING TO HAPPEN.
- IT ALREADY HAPPENED!
- So if He washed their robes with his blood when these came out of great tribulation, then it is speaking of the great tribulation of OUR LIVES IN SIN.
- We were in great trouble.
- We were lost and without God.
- Every true bleiever who is saved HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR ROBES WASHED IN THE BLOOD.
He is the ARK that contained God's New Covenant.
And then we read:
- The Ark entered the TRUE TEMPLE and saved us from our sins.
Reve 7:16-17  They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more;  neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For  the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes. HOLD THAT PAGE OPEN AND TURN AGAIN TO Isaiah 49.
Isai 49:9-10 That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that [are] in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures [shall be] in all high places.  They shall not hunger nor thirst;  neither shall the heat nor sun smite them:  for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them. Verse 8 said He would be given as a COVENANT to the people so that He could say, "Come out and show yourselves, you who are in darkness."
Sounds a lot like:
- And then we read in verse 10 the same words we read in Revelation 7 of the crowd in Heaven. -- They will hunger nor thirst anymore...
- Just like in Rev. 5 where the great ARK of the covenant entered the temple of Heaven, and redeemed us in his blood, and washed us (Rev 7) and leads us to waters so we'll never thirst again.
John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. So he is the ARK OF THE COVENANT.
But He is also like the ARK of Noah.
In Noah's day, the flood covered the whole earth, and Noah was saved by being in the ark.
- He prevailed to enter glory so that we could enter glory.
- He contained the COVENANT.
- He was given to be a covenant.
- Since no one was worthy to enter glory, and He prevailed to enter, and then caused John thereby to be worthy to enter, we see something else.
By the time its all said and done, and the world is gone and everyone who ever lived has passed on to their destinies, the way God sees it, all the world died.
- If we could take everyone's death from Adam to the last person ever born....
- Put them all together to occur at the same time...
- You and me and everyone who ever lived or ever will live...
- Include Jesus Christ's death in with all of them, at one single moment...
- In this manner, have it appear just like the flood that covered the world truly bringing death to the whole world... to everyone of the world who would ever live...
- SOME WOULD SURVIVE.
So He is the ark.
- BUT SOME SURVIVED.
- WHEN CHRIST DIED, HE WAS LIKE AN ARK.
- WE HAD TO DIE ANYWAY, SO WE BELIEVED THE GOSPEL THAT SAID HE DIED FOR US.
- AND HIS DEATH COUNTED FOR OUR DEATHS.
- AND IT WAS THOUGH WE ENTERED INTO HIS EXPERIENCE OF DEATH, as into the ARK OF NOAH, AND CAME OUT AFTER THE FLOOD OF DEATH WAS OVER, INTO A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH.
- The ARK OF THE COVENANT PORTRAYED HIM CONTAINING THE COVENANT AND BEING THE COVENANT.
- The ARK OF NOAH portrayed Him containing all of us, and since He was worthy, we were considered worthy and allowed into glory, just as John.
HE MADE ME WORTHY.
- You don't think we are in heaven?
- I know there is a heaven to enter after this life is over, but my HEART AND SPIRIT IS ALREADY THERE.
Ephe 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
If you're not saved, do you want to be WORTHY?
- So, if you're saved and have obeyed Acts 2:38, don't say "I'm not worthy," anymore.
- HE MADE YOU WORTHY.
- Do you want to come out of great trouble and tribulation and wash your robes in the blood of the lamb?
- Come on into this Ark, Jesus Christ!